- Burks, R. L., A. Miller and A. Hill. CABI Compendium project on Pomacea maculata. Draft posted & under review (Not traditional peer-review): http://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/116486
Please note that Pomacea maculata is synonymous with Pomacea insularum (Hayes et al. 2012) and should be used as the correct taxonomic nomenclature. All past published work by the Burks Lab with P. insularum refers to P. maculata.
- Liebl, M.*, K. Roberts*, A. Mohammed*, M. Lowther*, E. Navaira*, A. Frankel*, S. Pukys and R. L. Burks. 2014. Staying SMArT: Introduction and assessment of a one-on-one inquiry model to teach the scientific method to elementary school students. Science Education and Civic Engagement: An International Journal 6(1): 32-44. Link to PDF
- Kyle, C. H.*, A. Plantz*, T. Shelton and R. L. Burks. 2013. Count your eggs before they invade: Identifying and quantifying egg clutches of two invasive apple snail species (Pomacea). PLoSOne Open Access. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0077736
- Burks, R. L. 2012. One McBug Burger Please: Eating insects in ecology class to contextualize climate change discussion. EcoEd, http://ecoed.esa.org/index.php?P=FullRecord&ID=383.
- Kyle, C. H.*, A. W. Kropf and R. L. Burks. 2011. Prime waterfront real estate: Apple snails choose wild taro for oviposition sites. Current Zoology 57(5): 630-641. KYLEetal2011CurrentZool
- Burks, R. L., S. A. Hensley* and C. H. Kyle*. 2011. Quite the appetite: juvenile island apple snails (Pomacea insularum) survive consuming only exotic, invasive plants. Journal of Molluscan Studies 77(4): 423-428. Burksetal2011MolluscanStudies
- Burks, R. L., C. H. Kyle* and M. K. Trawick*. 2010. Pink Eggs and Snails: Field oviposition patterns indicate shallow aquatic systems susceptible to invasion by Pomacea insularum. Hydrobiologia, Shallow Lakes 2009 Special Volume 646: 243-251.DOI 10.1007/s10750-010-0167-1. Burksetal2010SLHydro
- Burks, R. L. and M. M. Chumchal. 2009. To Co-author or Not to Co-author: How to write, publish, and negotiate issues of authorship with undergraduate research students. Sci. Signal. 2 (94), tr3. [DOI: 10.1126/scisignal.294tr3] BurksChumchal2009
- Burks, R. L. 2009. A Kernel of Truth: Microwave popcorn makes it easier to teach basic statistics. The L&O Bulletin 18(2): 36-40. 09_v18_i2
- Kyle, C. H.,* M. K. Trawick,* J. P. McDonough* and R. L. Burks. 2009. Population dynamics of an established reproducing population of the invasive apple snail (Pomacea insularum) in suburban southeast Houston, Texas. Texas Journal of Science 61(4): 1-5. TJSFinal2009
- Barnes, M.A.*, R. K. Marfurt*, J. J. Hand and R. L. Burks. 2008. Fecundity of the exotic applesnail, Pomacea insularum. The Journal of the North American Benthological Society 28(3): 738-745 (with color photo). Barnes2008
- Youens, A. K.* and R. L. Burks. 2008.Comparing applesnails with oranges: the need to standardize measuring techniques when studying Pomacea. Aquatic Ecology 42(4): 679-684.DOI: 10.1007/s10452-007-9140-0. AbbyAquatEcology2008
- Boland, B.*, M. Meerhoff, C. Fosalba, N. Mazzeo, M. Barnes* and R. L. Burks. 2008. Juvenile snails, adult appetites: Contrasting resource consumption between two species of applesnails (Pomacea). Journal of Molluscan Studies 74(1): 47-54.Bolandetal2008
- Burks, R. L. and L. Boles. 2007. Evolution of the Chocolate Bar: A creative approach to teaching phylogenetic relationships within evolutionary biology. The American Biology Teacher 69(4): 229-237. ABT
- Burks, R. L., G. Mulderij, E. Gross, I. Jones, L. Jacobsen, E. Van Donk, and E. Jeppesen. 2006. Chapter 3 – Center stage: The Crucial Role of Macrophytes in Regulating Trophic Interactions in Shallow Lake Wetlands. Pages 37-59 in R. Bobbink, B. Beltman, J. T. A. Verhoeven, and D. F. Whigham (eds) Wetlands: Functioning, Biodiversity Conservation, and Restoration. Ecological Studies, Volume 191, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- R. G. Howells, L. E. Burlakova, A. Y. Karatayev, R K. Marfurt*, and R. L. Burks. 2006. Chapter 5 – Native and introduced Ampullaridae in North America: History, status and ecology. Pages 73-112 in R. C Joshi (ed) Global Advances in Ecology and Management of Golden Apple Snails. Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice), Philippines. Howellsetal2006
Please consider Howells et al. 2006 an outdated publication in the world of apple snail research. Please consult the work of colleague Kenneth Hayes for recent advances.
- Lindquester, G., R. L. Burks, and C. R. Jaslow. 2005. Developing information fluency in introductory biology students in the context of an investigative laboratory. Cell Biology Education 4: 58-96. CBEnformationFluency
- Tuchman, N. C., R. L. Burks, C. A. Call, and J. J. Smarrelli. 2004. Flow rate and vertical position influence ingestion rates of colonial zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha). Freshwater Biology 49: 191-198. TuchmanetalFreshBio2004
- Burks, R. L. and D. M. Lodge. 2002. Cued in: advances and opportunities in freshwater chemical ecology. Journal of Chemical Ecology. 28(10): 1881- 1897. burkslodgeJCE2002
- Burks, R. L., N. C. Tuchman, C. A. Call, and J. E. Marsden. 2002. Colonial aggregations: the effect of spatial position on zebra mussel responses to interstitial water quality. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 21(1): 64-75. burktuch2002
- Burks, R. L., D. M. Lodge, E. Jeppesen and T. L. Lauridsen. 2002. Diel horizontal migration of zooplankton: costs and benefits of inhabiting littoral zones. Freshwater Biology 47: 343-366. BurksReviewFreshBio
- Burks, R. L., E. Jeppesen and D. M. Lodge. 2001. Pelagic prey and benthic predators: impact of odonate predation on Daphnia among complex structure. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 20(4): 683-696. burksJNABS2001
- Burks, R. L., E. Jeppesen and D. M. Lodge. 2001. Littoral zone structures as Daphnia refugia against fish predation. Limnology and Oceanography 46(2): 230-237. BurksLO2001
- Burks, R. L., E. Jeppesen and D. M. Lodge. 2000. Macrophyte and fish chemicals suppress Daphnia growth and alter life history traits. Oikos 88(1): 139-147. BurksOikos
- Lauridsen, T. L., E. Jeppesen, S.F. Mitchell, D. M. Lodge and R. L. Burks. 1999. Horizontal distribution of zooplankton in lakes with contrasting fish densities and nutrient levels. Hydrobiologia 408/409: 241-250.